[OSM-talk] Bounding box

Raphaël Jacquot sxpert at sxpert.org
Mon Feb 5 14:07:14 GMT 2007

David Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 01:35:50PM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> One possible solution I could imagine would be splitting download and
>> upload servers. Uploads - which will always be only a small
>> percentage of downloads - must go the the central server, but
>> downloads can be served from any number of servers running a copy.
>> These copies can be kept current by built-in database replication
>> techniques, or simply by batch-updating them with a hourly diff file
>> (this would also enable us to build mirrors distributed all over the
>> world). Just one idea, but *something* has to be done...
>
> An hourly diff wouldn't really work. It would lead to people's JOSM
> downloads being significantly different from the server's view of it.
>
> Maybe we need a download server for people using the data, which can be
> lagged like that, and one for people editing it, which cant. Better
> options might be possible by thinking about filtering, or caching
> clients.

One thing I'm wondering is... what sort of database storage engine are
we using within mysql ?

as for load balancing, the best solution would be to use the clustering
functionnalities of the used database server.

for instance, on Mysql, see

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-cluster.html

(this implies upgrading to 5.1, obviously :-) )

for postgresql, slony 1 should be sufficient (one master, multiple read
servers

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php