[OSM-talk] OS maps on Lake District weekend (was: Yah**)

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 18:21:21 GMT 2007

>think it will be necessary for people to carry OS or other maps with them,
>simply because it can be somewhat dangerous to go into mountainous areas
>without them

Agreed.  I always carry a map on me anyway.  It takes care of the angry
farmers casue in staring at a map in a confused manner they no longer see
you as a threat, and in fact can often be quite helpful telling you things
that can be mapped, that otherwise you would have no way of knowing.  (e.g.
permissable ways, or the names of lanes without signs etc).

As long as you don't reference the map when editing osm, or taking notes I
think there is no problem with it.  The thing to be most cautious of is when
mapping a path of somesort, if you can only see the stiles or gates at
either end, you need to make shore the map doesnt influence you into asuming
that the path runs between a and b, rather than a and c.   I think in the
lake district the frequently used paths wouldn't be a problem though.

Ben