[OSM-talk] Nature Trails (was: No_comments=yes)

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 7 20:27:29 GMT 2007

(I've merged a handfull of emails just for fun!...)

>These should all come under "route" in Map Features, that was what "route"
>was in there for in the first place.

My proposal in the first email was:

route_ref=xyz, colour=red

So it is in the route section.   Its not the same as the cycle network
though, or anythign else, so I created a new key.

>These trails are similar to bus routes.

Maybe in towns.  In my example it is nothing more than a suggested route for
people to take along exsisting tracks.  In reference to the other reply.
Its not a problem that the route falls along many different ways, as in
having a new tag I would just tag the nessesery sections.  My concern is how
it would render.  If 2 routes fall along the same path for a period then
currently 1 would render ontop of the other, rather than them both being
side by side.  The only solution I have is just creating a seperate parrell
way for 1 of them.

>* what if a way is part of two routes at the same time?
>* where would you, in the case of nature trails and the like, put  general
>info about the trail (like "approx 1.5 hours")

If the way is tagged with a handful of tags about its properties the approx
time can be worked out.  Tracktype, distance of the ways or if its
road/footway etc.  The speeds from these bits can be worked out.  The
problem is if hills make a majour difference.  If steep hills are marked
that covers some of it but really working out journey times needs to use
topographic data to work this out.  As for the first point, I covered that
above...but yes that is my main concern

I don't think superways are a good idea for a long time.  Just having a
segment belong to more than 1 way is inposible to handle in JOSM as it is
anyway.

Ben