[OSM-talk] roundabouts, dev-nodes and copyright

Florian Loitsch openstreetmap at florian.loitsch.com
Thu Feb 8 11:02:21 GMT 2007

hi,
three questions:
- when roundabouts have names, should I use the name-tag of the way, or should
I add another node to mark the location (or even an area-node)?
Currently the renderers put the name on the road where it's nearly impossible
to read (too curved). Personally I vote for putting the name into the
name-tag, but change the renderers, but that's just my opinion.
- Is there a convention how to mark "developer" nodes? I want to add some
information so that somebody working on the same area could benefit from my
information (in particular I have made photos of road-signs, and the next
person could use these to label the roads). I would like to add nodes, and
write into a "dev-information" tag my information. (JOSM... could even
display these nodes differently).
- This question has been probably already asked, and in this case just ignore
it, or point me into the correct direction: AFAIK one cannot copyright the
names... themselves. When taking several different maps, and use the complete
set to "extract" the names (data) out of them, am I still not allowed to use
these names to label my streets?
mfg,
// florian