[OSM-talk] Marketing OSM

kaka drspencer at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 14:10:52 GMT 2007

Marketing OSM

Hi
I would like to know if there is a marketing strategy for OSM. I try to
spread the word in various internet forums (GPS/GIS forums, environmental
sites, travel forums...), to other GIS related friends, university etc, but
I would, naturally, like to see more people joining this project to speed
things up a bit. If there currently is no strategy, I would like to hear
some suggestions on how to make the world aware of OpenStreetMap. How about

* Contacting GPS hardware/software manufacturers (maybe ship an OSM pamphlet
with every device or a link from their sites?)
* Requesting support for the file format from various GIS packages
* Cooperation with universities
* A new web based forum, perhaps phpBB or a similar solution
* Creating an offline document with all the info one needs to get started
with OSM mapping. I think I have seen this discussed somewhere. Maybe there
already is one?

If we could make every GIS/GPS user aware of OSM, that would surely add some
weight to the project. Maybe we can learn something from the Firefox
campaign? I´m sure there must be tons of great ideas on how to expand the
network. Any suggestions welcome.

Magnus