[OSM-talk] Note tags

John McKerrell john at mckerrell.net
Tue Feb 13 19:52:41 GMT 2007

On 13 Feb 2007, at 19:35, OJW wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 08:01, John McKerrell wrote:
>> Didn't work in Safari, I don't see anything obvious that would be
>> causing that though, perhaps if you assign .popup a width when it's
>> hovered over, it might be that Safari just isn't expanding the link
>> for the text.
>
> Looks like safari should support hover, so it's probably my code
> that's wrong:

I've just had a go at playing with a local copy. The problem is that
you haven't assigned a href to the links. I tried adding href="#" and
it worked.

>> Also you probably want to put z-index : 2 on the link
>> when it's hovered over as the other notes are showing up below it.
>
> The CSS spec says that won't have any effect if the element it's
> inside is
> already below the thing you're trying to cover

That's why I say you should put it on the link, not on the span,
adding the following improved the output:
a.popup:hover {
     z-index : 2;
}

>> Interesting demo though.
>
>> I've been meaning to setup a callable database of nodes or something
>> and I think this is crying out for it, must get around to that.
>
> Indeed.  I was hoping that might have come out of month-of-osm, but
> no luck.
> See (one of) the original requests:
>
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/337

While it would be good to have this in the API I might have a go at
setting something up using a planet dump if I ever get some spare time.

Again, nice tool though, I'd been intending to start making lots of
use of notes, and was thinking I'd have to search through a dump of
my area's data to find the notes later. This would make things a lot
easier.

John