[OSM-talk] Baghdad maps

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Wed Feb 14 02:10:14 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "J.D. Schmidt" <jdsmobile at gmail.com>
To: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Baghdad maps

> Robert (Jamie) Munro skrev:
>> I know we've been making maps of Baghdad from Yahoo aerial imagery. I
>> wonder if they'll be used:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6357129.stm
>>
>> Robert (Jamie) Munro
>

> Following sent as a comment/email on that story to the BBC :
>
> Google Earth might have satellite imagery for Baghdad, that the
> inhabitants can use for their escape routes out of the sectarian
> violence.. But try to navigate after a printed satellite photo, it's
> harder than you think.
>
> OpenStreetMap.org, an british originated opensource wikipedia-like
> initiative for free and open geodata access, has had for some time now a
> detailed map of Baghdad available, free for all to peruse, zoom in,
> print out, or download the actual vector data and convert it to use on
> Garmin compatible handheld GPS devices.

Dutch

I think you might be  a bit over optimistic :)  Mapping a whole city of  6-7
million people takes a bit of time.

Probably only about 50 % of Baghdad is currently mapped in detail.

I've got the major roads, parks, forested areas, River Tigris, and railway
lines complete, but large amounts of the unclassified streets are still to
be completed.

David