[OSM-talk] INSEE data source

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Thu Feb 15 11:32:33 GMT 2007

Florian Loitsch wrote:
> hi,
> I just got my INSEE CD, and accordingly updated the wiki-page
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Potential_Datasources#INSEE).
> Any comments?
> I'm thinking of writing a mail (or even letter) to INSEE to clarify the
> licence (unless you think it's clear anyways). What should I ask in
> particular? Where do you think the license makes problems?
> I though of proposing several different ways of extracting the data, and let
> them choose if it's ok. Something like:
> - can we copy streetnames (with/without source-tag)?
> - does source-tag need to be sticky?
> - can we extract the data (using some tool) and then distribute it?
> - can we import the extracted data?
> - can we change the data if we know it's false?
> - ...

It's probably worth sending them the official french translation of the
CC license we are using, explaining that we are making a world map under
that license, and asking if we can incorporate their data. Also, if we
find errors, and fix them, does that mean we are not "keeping the data
integrity"?

We might need to put their data into a zoned off section of the DB that
we can't edit, and program Mapnik to just incorporate it, like it is
doing with coastlines. We could use a flag to say where it is bad, and
we have made corrections or added more detail, so that Mapnik knows to
render the OSM version of those areas. We could use the same system for
Tiger and other external databases.

Robert (Jamie) Munro