[OSM-talk] Residential areas

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Feb 19 15:36:47 GMT 2007

I hesitate to add this given the volume of correspondence on this particular
subject and the flurry of email from me in the last couple of days, but....

I don't much care how it is represented in the data, but I would very much
like to see something that potentially renders as a more prominent
residential or urban street - for example, like unclassified but with
heavier or bolder edges. highway=unclassified + abutters=residential could
be the keys that trigger this; or others have proposed a complicated grading
system; and back in October I put a highway=urban proposal on the
Proposed_features page for this.

I think this would be useful because there are many urban streets which are
residential (or mixed) but are through roads without any special designation
like primary or secondary, which can't currently be distinguished from any
other residential street - the spine road of an estate, a village High
Street, that kind of thing.

Actually, I think highway=unclassified could always render with a bolder
edge (or thickness or presence in lower zoom levels) in mapnik and
osmarender, and then I would immediately reclassify the relevant residential
streets I have done as highway=residential with
highway=unclassified+abutters=residential

For me the problem a the moment is that highway=residential *does* look
identical to highway=unclassified+abutters=residential

David