[OSM-talk] Residential areas

Bruce Cowan bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Feb 19 18:26:12 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 18:13 +0000, David Earl wrote:

> Hmm. Tertiary is really for a road that has an official designation, as you
> say. The roads I'm talking aren't any different in official status from
> their neighbours, but are just more prominent because they are used as
> through roads or just "feel" more important.
>
> (I can't really see any visible difference in the page you quoted - except
> it doesn't have residential abutters, of course - but is the border just a
> tiny bit bolder - very hard to tell?)
>
> Maybe it's generally just obvious from how the roads connect, and I'm
> worrying unnecessarily.

There is no difference in the rendering, which seems a bit silly.

I find that the tertiary roads round here are the same as unclassified,
but are usually wider, and have dashed lines down the middle for their
entire length.  In Britain, they actually have the designation "C",
which usually doesn't appear on road signs.

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=7543459.26898&lon=-481460.01623&zoom=16&layers=B00
is an example near where I live.  Kilmardinny Avenue and Manse road are
both tertiary roads.  They are like the biggest of the wee roads in an
area which join bigger roads.  For instance, Manse Road joins the A809
with the A81 in this case.
--
Bruce Cowan <bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com>