[OSM-talk] Several approved features moved to Map_features page

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 16:18:05 GMT 2007

True. They are _subtly_ different, but I don't actually see much
advantage to keeping the distinction in real life.

If you're looking at pretty rendered maps, they'll probably both show up
as green patches.

If you're looking for distinctive landmarks as you drive through the
area in a car/bicycle/horse, you'll basically be looking out for green
space. You may or may not have time to notice the height of the grass
:-)

If you're looking at legal status of your right to access the area, etc,
then since village greens are actually 'common land', as are 'commons,'
that they have the exact same legal status in terms of your right of
access.

The difference appears to lie purely in the length of the grass, which
you could argue is a degree to fine even for the highest ambitions!

Obviously people are free to tag anything they like in OSM, but given
that this feature was passed (perfectly properly) by only a two person
vote, I suggest that it wouldn't hurt to re-run the vote. No?

Otherwise, whatever.

Regards

Phillip

PHILLIP BARNETT