[OSM-talk] Village greens are not commons - official

Barnett, Phillip Phillip.Barnett at itn.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 19:27:37 GMT 2007

David,
Well, that goes back to my original point AGAINST using the
'village_green' value -  that if you saw an area marked as 'common' land
in the middle of the village, you'd call it the village green, in much
the same way that if you saw a pub called 'The Cricketers' next to it,
you'd probably call it 'the village pub' without feeling the need to
actually label it as such.

But, in any case, since there is now a legal distinction (though no
practical one, as far as I can see) between commons and the subset of
commons called village greens, then I'm perfectly happy, as I said, to
withdraw my objections.

****Offtopic**********

http://www.iankitching.me.uk/history/cam/commons.html says Parker's
Piece was created as 'common pasture'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker%27s_Piece says 'Parker's Piece is a
perfectly flat and very roughly square green common '

Ownership by the City Council does not preclude it being 'common' ground
- most (all?) 'commons' are owned by some person or organisation.

Regards

Phillip