[OSM-talk] Several approved features moved to Map_features page

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 00:46:54 GMT 2007

>The four tags seem sensible, though I don't understand why you then switch
>between landuse/natural for the "wood" value.

It might be natural=wood still, or both.  It was just an example, in fact
usually I use both.  I only use landuse if that is what the land is
primerally used for.  So the wood is used for its wood rather than for
wildlife or walks etc.  If a wood was dence rows of pine wich were private
logging,  then It may just be landuse I think.

>landuse/leisure=village_green

The thing I'm puzzled with there is if I called up some mates and said "do
you wan't to go and do some village_greening", or "do you wish to go an
export parts of the village _green" they would kinda think I was funny in
the head. landuse/leisure=village_green seems strange and all it would offer
is just a less usable Ukcentric variation of combined tags, wich isn't
really correct.  landuse=grass may work (asuming its used for hay), but
leisure=grass wouldn't have a use..well unless there are areas specifically
designated for people to snitch in, for fun, or competitively...

You yourself said in the greenspace wiki disscussion "..."landuse=grass" and
"name=Village Green" would do the job".  And I think thats correct, except I
would replace 'landuse' with 'natural'.

leisure=sociel may perhaps work.

Having an extra sorta-predefined tag that only covers 2 other tags is a
waste, and a mess, I think.  Its like having "highway=motorway_2" for
motorways with 2 lanes instead of 3, when "highway=motorway" and "lanes=2"
would also work. (By predefined I mean a tag wich acts as a set of combined
tags wich commonly appear togehter..need better way of refering to them
really)

natural=moor might be needed for the moors, but natural=marsh access=yes may
cover it better.  I don't think anybody has really been mapping moors much
yet though, so thats a problem for the future, although we should plan for
it now by keeping the keys organsied so that new features can slot it
without having completly new unrelated tags like "landuse=green_space" for
example.

Ben