[OSM-talk] Village greens are not commons - official

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Feb 22 01:35:25 GMT 2007

Hi,

 > Is that not a good thing though? The advantage of having specific tags
 > for specific countries means that OSM can indeed be truly
 > international, rather than overly generic. Different renderers
 > specified for different countries can then render or ignore tags as
 > they please.

Difficult topic, lends itself to all sorts of philosophical discussion.
Is it "international" if it caters to the local population everywhere
but outsiders are lost?

Isn't it a great thing about maps that I can look at maps of places I've
never been to and immediately identify rivers, roads, forests and
mountains - because maps are not international in the sense you used the
word in, but international in the sense that everybody uses the same
style and thus every map can be understood by a map reader...?

But maybe I'm being naive; maybe the maps I believe to be
"international" are just the stuff we Westerners have plastered the
world with, and locals everywhere have their own maps where everything
looks completely different.

Bye
Frederik