[OSM-talk] OSM layer into Adobe Illustrator?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Feb 22 19:02:47 GMT 2007

Hi,

 > One thing I've always wondered about Public Domain. If data is Public
 > Domain, is there a risk that a commercial organisation could "steal"
 > it, place restrictive licencing on it, claim copyright over it and
 > thus take it proprietary?

It depends on how you define "stealing".

The common definition of "stealing" involves taking away something from
the rightful owner and by doing so making it impossible for him to use
it. (I steal your bike.)

In this sense, a malicious organisation (which need not be commercial)
or an individual could try to assert rights on something you have
produced, claiming that you took it from them and disallowing you any
further access. This risk exists, but it does not depend on the license
the stuff was under. It can happen with GNU FDL or CC-BY-SA just as it
can happen with PD, and it is immoral and most likely illegal.

Another definition of "stealing" involves someone enjoying digital goods
without paying the expected license fees or asking for permission, but
without actually taking something "away". (I steal Microsoft Windows, I
steal a Beatles recording.)

If you follow this definition (like the music labels, film producers,
and software companies do), then someone can "steal" something in the
public domain, put his own label on it and sell it for huge sums and
with a restrictive license, and it would all be legal. I think this is
what people mean when they say Navteq could "steal" our data: They could
use it to make money, without giving us any. However, they could enforce
the license only on his version of things, while anybody could still
access the public domain version without strings attached. GNU FDL or CC
licenses try to stop this kind of "stealing" or at least make it
unattractive.

In my eyes, trying to dictate to others what they may and may not do
with our data is childish, and causes much more harm and hassle than
positive effects. I am not here to get rich or famous. And I do not
object to others getting rich and famous if they so desire. And if they
use my work in getting rich and famous - good for them.

Ah, I remember I promised not to write about licensing any more...

Bye
Frederik