[OSM-talk] osmarender tile server broken?

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sat Feb 24 16:14:30 GMT 2007

mapnik is entirely in the db without trouble. From talking to ppl on irc
it seems that t at h breaks when lots of people are uploading as they hog a
mysql handle(s).

I'd first reduce the http keepalive to 1 second or something so the
handles arnt open for too long. Second instead of uploads going straight
to the db, throw them to disk and process them with a cron job so that
insertion only ever takes one mysql handle.

Third thing is don't use x,y,z columns as there's not any cardinality
between them, use a single int column with some function(x,y,z) => i
that can go both ways. Will make the index far more useful. This is what
I'll do with mapnik.

OJW wrote:
> When the database comes back online, I was going to move the tiles out of it
> into the /var/www/ojw/Tiles directory and update all the tools, so it would
> be unavailable for a while longer while that's happening, but when that's
> done, viewing applications won't require the database.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tiles%40home/Website/FilesystemStorage
>
> However, mcn has added a new comment there saying that the filesystem isn't
> capable of storing our tiles (too few inodes available) - anyone else have
> comments on that?

have fun,