[OSM-talk] osmarender tile server broken?

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Sun Feb 25 12:42:32 GMT 2007

Following very generous commitments from members of the list, I am able to get
more memory for the DB server.

I have received requests that we should have a slave DB server and further
commitment of money.

I have had great trouble finding 2Gb unregistered unbuffered DDR memory sticks
for the existing DB server but can find 2Gb DDR2. The original memory I looked
at was registered, and would have been incompatible with our DB server.

This can all be reconciled by building a new DB server based on AM2 socket
processor and DDR2 memory, and moving existing DB server to slave mode. This
will provide redundancy for core services and improve performance in the longer
term by separating GPX queries, and perhaps enabling larger queries on the
secondary DB server where immediate response will be less of an issue.

Our existing machine will stay at 3Gb. New machine start at 4GB with slots for
another 4Gb DDR2 unbuffered.

If you would like to donate hardware, or money for hardware, please let me know.
I'll make sure it gets used quickly.