[OSM-talk] OSM layer into Adobe Illustrator?

Mon Feb 26 14:49:26 GMT 2007

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> A project like OSM cannot give you legal advice (for gratis or not).
> OSM's data has a license which tells about all these things

No, it doesn't. OSM's data has a licence that was originally intended
for something else entirely:

   "We use private rights to create public goods: creative works set
    free for certain uses." (http://creativecommons.org/about/history)

In some jurisdictions, such as the US, not all geodata is considered a
creative work - though there are some similarities. (Nor is it
software, of course.)

As a result, there are many, many interpretations of the licence, as
the ensuing discussion proved. I think it's entirely reasonable for
Philip to ask for clarification of what he may feel is an unclear
licence: there may be others on the list who have already obtained
such clarification and can share their experience with him.

cheers
Richard