[OSM-talk] Newbie in need of guidance using the OSM Applet and JOSM

Refsvik Kjell Are kjell.a.refsvik at hiof.no
Mon Feb 26 21:33:22 GMT 2007

Hi,

I found the OSM idea interesting and have decided to participate. As
a newbie user, I am however struggling with some technical issues.
Having been through the FAQ, the WIKI and the associated web
resources, I still have some questions.

1. EDITING USING THE JAVA APPLET
Some kind souls at Ostfold University College has been at this for a
while, and have done some mapping of the city of Halden, Ostfold
(Norway) a while back. Zooming into this section of the map:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?
lat=59.12233272107037&lon=11.377011775970459&zoom=15

...and using the OSM Applet, I am able to both have a look at, and
edit this data. It seems that the tagging process is not complete as
none of the roads I found had any road-type connected to it. In
trying to rectify this, I did edit a few of the roads to include
"highway=residential". This is how my edit looked in my browser:

http://home.online.no/~refsvik/misc/OSM_problem1.jpg

The question still remains: why do the edited (and seemingly complete
road sections, that I have completed) not turn up in the "View mode"
of the Applet after the edit is done and uploaded? What do road-
sections need in order to be activated and be visible?

2. JOSM
Wanting a more powerful software approach to edit the data I have
logged myself (gps track log and photos), I turned to JOSM after
reading up on the current state of things on the wiki. After
downloading and installing the necessary sw components, I am able to
edit my data:

http://home.online.no/~refsvik/misc/OSM_josmedit.jpg

Still, I would have liked to use JOSM to merge the data that is
already present in the city of Halden, with the data that I have
logged myself:

http://home.online.no/~refsvik/misc/OSM_problem2.jpg

...but when I try to do so, the following error message appears:

http://home.online.no/~refsvik/misc/OSM_problem3.jpg

I would be very grateful for anyone getting back to me on these
topics, enabling me to continue my quest.

Sincerely,

Kjell Are Refsvik
Halden, Norway