[OSM-talk] Newbie in need of guidance using the OSM Applet and JOSM

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 26 22:47:09 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 23:09 +0100, Dirk-Lüder Kreie wrote:

> Refsvik Kjell Are schrieb:
>
> > The question still remains: why do the edited (and seemingly complete
> > road sections, that I have completed) not turn up in the "View mode"
> > of the Applet after the edit is done and uploaded? What do road-
> > sections need in order to be activated and be visible?
>
> The data has to be rendered into map tiles to show up on the "view
> mode". This is updated once a week on the mapnik layer and more
> frequently for the osmarender layer (switch with the small (+) at the
> top-right of the map).
> The osmarender layer is updated by the tiles at home Project which has
> quite a bit of documentation on the wiki.
>
> > 2. JOSM
> > Wanting a more powerful software approach to edit the data I have
> > logged myself (gps track log and photos), I turned to JOSM after
> > reading up on the current state of things on the wiki. After
> > downloading and installing the necessary sw components, I am able to
> > edit my data:
> >
> > http://home.online.no/~refsvik/misc/OSM_josmedit.jpg
> >
> > Still, I would have liked to use JOSM to merge the data that is
> > already present in the city of Halden, with the data that I have
> > logged myself:
> >
> > http://home.online.no/~refsvik/misc/OSM_problem2.jpg
>
> That area seems *much* bigger than the area covered by your GPX data.
>
> > ...but when I try to do so, the following error message appears:
> >
> > http://home.online.no/~refsvik/misc/OSM_problem3.jpg
>
> You cannot download such a big area.
>
> BTW you can use URLs from the "view" link in JOSM, it will fill in the
> data for the bounding box from there.
> try
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=59.12233272107037&lon=11.377011775970459&zoom=15
> there.

When you hit the 'download' button in JOSM the default area it selects
is the bounding box of the screen. Just hit OK and it will download data
for the area covered by the GPX data visible on the screen at the time.
There is no need to go off to another map to locate the download
co-ordinates.

If you've covered a large distance in your tracks (say 10+ miles) then
you may not be able to download all the data at once. Just zoom in to a
smaller part of your GPX and download just that area initially. Then you
can pan the map a bit and downloading again to grab some extra data and
it merge with that already downloaded.

Occasionally JOSM fails to join up the multiple downloads correctly so
you may have to save the .osm file, restart JOSM and reloadit.

	Jon