[OSM-talk] Place: city,town,village,hamlet,suburb

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Jan 3 06:14:23 GMT 2007

At 08:17 AM 3/01/2007, Alex Mauer wrote:
>Since the distinction among these place-types is so varied throughout
>the world, is it even useful or could it be better served by having
>place="municipality" replacing all of those?
>
>On a personal note I found the word "Town" to be confusing, but that
>seems to be due to my specific location and the unusual terminology used
>there. [1] I think I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.

As the primary intent of Place: city,town,village,hamlet,suburb is to
decide whether whether to annotate a map with the locality and the
relative emphasis to be placed (e.g. text size), "municipality" has
no value and might be better placed in a separate tag describing the
exact civic status of a locale?

This is rather like the debate on highways.  Everyone knows what a
"main road" or a "town" is when they see one, but it is extremely
hard to *precisely* define a) for global use b) in a manner that
makes recording easy.  While lacking elegancy, general flexible tags
are important.

Mike
Manila