[OSM-talk] Mapnik, large river, area with hole [was: Re: The segments vs ways vs superways question again...]

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Wed Jan 3 15:58:33 GMT 2007

Jochen Topf a écrit :

> Currently we can't do:
>
> - Areas with holes in them. Current hack around this: Define inner area
>   with higher layer. Disjoint areas: Say several parking lots around a
>   convention center that we want to tag together.
> [..]
> - Large rivers  [..]

I draw the Seine (large river) inside Paris with many areas to have
holes in it.

It render nicely with osmarender :
http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Browse/?x=16598&y=11273&z=15&tileset=0

But it doesn't work with mapnik :
http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/?lat=6217835.98446&lon=261701.92235&zoom=13&layers=B00

This is because mapnik draw a border around water.
I think it's a bad idea. If we zoom more, another problem come from this
"water border" : it can be confused with a road
Ex :
http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/?lat=6217588.7585&lon=262380.30083&zoom=15&layers=B00