[OSM-talk] Place: city,town,village,hamlet,suburb

Bruce Cowan bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jan 3 21:19:45 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 11:03 +0800, Mike Collinson wrote:
> Someone has changed these definitions to base it on population fairly
> recently (3 months?).  I'm fairly OK with the a city definition of
> over 100,000, it seems pretty standard worldwide - though I recognize
> that this may conflict with a local government type.

Size doesn't seem to come into whether a place is a city or a town.
Brechin [1] used to be a city, as it has a cathedral, but it only has a
population of 7,200.  In fact, its football team is still called Brechin
city.  The smallest city nowadays in Scotland is now Stirling [2], with
a population of 41,243.  Paisley [3] prides itself as the largest town
in Scotland, with 74,170 residents.

There was a review of what is a city in Scotland in the 90s, but it is
quite long-winded. [4]  There is a good article about cities in the UK
here. [5]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brechin
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paisley