[OSM-talk] Bridge tags

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Fri Jan 5 07:20:48 GMT 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 01:35, Mike Collinson wrote:
> I feel that that is what segments are there for, recording local
> variations of short geographic extent.  Making a new Way every time a
> road crosses a bridge, enters a tunnel, passes a row of houses, has
> an unsealed section, has passing-lane sections, has a cycle lane
> entering it ... etc just does not seem practical to me and I don't
> have the time.  My rationale is that even if the info doesn't render
> now, at least it is there.

This was discussed a few times before (search the archives). Segments may be
phased out, and the prevailing opinion was that they shouldn't carry any
metadata. Ways should definitely be split for bridges, which I admit is a bit
of a pain. If you're tagging segments then I guess somebody will need to go
and clean all that data up another time...

Regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera