[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] improving osmarender

Tom Higgy higgy at bandnet.org
Mon Jan 8 21:33:12 GMT 2007

Johann Gail wrote:

> Tom Higgy schrieb:
>> Another thing I'd like to see, if anyone can come up with a solution,
>> is where road names don't fit within the length of the road. Most
>> renderers would not render the road name rather than make a mess.
>>
>> Is it possible to have osmarender hide the road names if they won't fit?
> Wouldn't it be a better solution to scale down the names for fitting in the available space. Most renderers deliver vektor graphics, so the user can zoom in.

That's true for displaying vector graphics but for something like
tiles at home the data is stored as a PNG file. In this case it's difficult
to make text smaller so it'll fit and be large enough to read it at all.

You can see what I mean here:
http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Browse/?x=16205&y=10752&z=15&tileset=0

--
Tom