[OSM-talk] Road Widths, Stubs and Priority/Giveway.

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 05:39:07 GMT 2007

Thomas Walraet wrote:
> Ben Robbins a écrit :
>> 1=Road with Room for Normal viecles going in each direction to drive
>> past each other normally
>> 2=Roads where cars can pass but will usually slow down, and/or move to
>> one side of the road.  Usually they lack road markings in the UK
>> 3=Roads where 1 of the cars would need to drive up onto to
>> grass/sand/mud on the side of the road
>> 4=Roads where the road edge stops easy passing and 1 of the 2 cars would
>> have to reverse to a passing spot.  Walls/enbanked edges/ditches/sinking
>> sand etcetc along the edge.
>
> It seems that what you want is to represent is if cars can easily drive
> past each other or not. I suggest that you use a tag with explicit
> key/value for this use.
>
> Example :
> k = ???? (don't know the English word for "drive past each other")
> v = normal(default) | caution(?) | difficult | impossible

It always struck me when I first used GPS driving around Cornwall, that
the next logical step is a short range vehicle position transmitter so
that the GPS system knows where the other cars are and tells one of you
to stop at a passing point when the next stretch is blocked :) Of cause
you still have the problem of who moves first but most of the time you
will not be stuck having to back up all the time.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL