[OSM-talk] Datums

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 09:45:27 GMT 2007

Andrew Rowbottom wrote:
>Sent: 15 January 2007 9:36 AM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-talk] Datums
>
>Can anyone tell me what Datum I should be using on my GPS? I can't
>seem to find anything on this in the Wiki.
>I'm assuming I should be using WGS84 since that's reasonable for the
>whole world, but obviously in the UK (where I am) my datum would
>normally be OSGB(36?). The difference is between 70 and 100 meters
>which is significant compared to current GPS accuracy.

OSM takes latitudes and longitudes and therefore is working in WGS84,
however I don't think it generally matters what your GPS is set to use for
its displays, My GARMIN still dumps out files in the WGS84 lat/lon format
regardless of what I'm doing or which datum I'm using for the display.

Cheers

Andy