[OSM-talk] Server slowness

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Jan 15 22:12:58 GMT 2007

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Quoting Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net>:

> > You probably should have a closer look at PostGIS, especially at the
> > capabilities regarding geospatial queries, and you're likely to be
> > pleased. PostGIS' strength lies in much more than just serving as data
> > exchange and storage
>
> Most of the OSM data is available (planet.osm), as is all of the
> source. Many OSM developers are busy with other parts of the project
> at the moment, so if you can provide some benchmarks to show that OSM
> really does run faster on a PostGIS setup, and show what changes you
> made to achieve this, we'd be all ears.

I've already loaded OSM data into my repository - as you can read from
the describing page on the OSGeo wiki at:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Repository#PostGIS_serving_vector_data

As I already wrote in an earlier EMail using comparable wording: Show
me the description of a representative load scenario and I'll run it on
my repository. As long as people claim superiority of the OSM data
model in terms of performance without being able to lay out a
representative scenario, I consider these claims as irrelevant.

What _I_ claim is that OSM will run into isolation in the long run if
they (you) don't care for interoperability with common use of data
representation - and this actually is one of two major concerns that
drove me to call for cooperation. Just look at the trouble and the time
spent to import TIGER or shoreline data into the OSM database. For
PostGIS-based backends everything is already there, no need to reinvent
the wheel.

Cheers,
	Martin.