[OSM-talk] Server slowness

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Tue Jan 16 11:55:20 GMT 2007

Hi Nick,

"Nick Black" wrote:

> Martin, you came to the list suggesting that we take a look at
> PostGIS, [...]

Well, this is not entirely correct. I came to this list via a
discussion on how to realize data export from OSM dumps into other,
well known formats.

The driving force to let me participate in _this_ discussion thread
here was the desire to achieve interoperability between OSM and the
other - however you'd like to call it - OpenSource world that deals
with geospatial data. I don't insist on OSM using PostGIS as backend,
why should I. _I_ am using PostGIS myself and, indeed, I can recommend
using PostGIS for lage datasets of the type OSM deals with.

So, discussion forces (so called emotions) have been trying to narrow
the topic on wether to use PostGIS or not, but in _my_ eyes this is not
the point at all. What I'd wish to see at the end of the discussion is
a method of data exchange, notably a _two_-way exchange !! of road data
between OSM and "the others" and, this is correct, I see the use of a
PostGIS backend as a valuable vehicle to achieve this goal.

Yet I'd jump onto the proposal of Nick Hill and let the whole story
cool down a bit.

Cheers,
	Martin.