[OSM-talk] Server slowness

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 12:40:15 GMT 2007

Martin Spott wrote:
>Sent: 16 January 2007 12:18 PM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Server slowness
>
>"Nick Black" wrote:
>
>> [...] Import however is harder, particularly of TIGER data.  Is
>> it TIGER data that you are wanting to import?
>
>My aim is to merge the road data of VMap0, VMap1, TIGER, some African
>countries and, finally, OSM. VMap0 has global coverage and all the
>others should replace VMap0 wherever they are available.
>
>This would result in a coarse road network at many places with some
>detailed areas. In the end this would buy us a road network that has:
>1.) Global coverage !!! (which is an implicit requirement for example
>    for the use in FlightGear);
>2.) high level of detail in some areas wherever we can get it.
>
>I don't insist on hosting the resulting road network in a PostGIS
>database, instead I'd be happy if OSM would do that for me - as long as
>I could pull a dump that matches OGC requirements any time I want.
>I've made a similar proposal to Ben Gimpert via private EMail some
>weeks ago but silence has covered this topic,

Martin,

I'll make just a small comment which I have voiced to others from time to
time when this type of discussion flares up.

At some time in the longer future it would be nice to improve the output
format for users of the data so that they can get more out of it more
easily. However the projects focus right now quite rightly is building the
map data from scratch. So the effort has to go on users needs to do that
while at the same time respecting the wish of those same users to see the
basic fruits of their efforts. Data delivery routes and interpretability are
secondary to that basic need although we all appreciate there are potential
benefits in making the data at least available, hence planet.osm.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Robinson