[OSM-talk] some newbie questions

A Morris aledmorris2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 23:28:19 GMT 2007

Hi all,

Two newbie questions. Before I start, an observation: I have uploaded a very
small number of segments using JOSA, and it would be awesome to see the data
I've just uploaded on a map. However I have no idea where to go to see if it
has uploaded correctly, or when or how these will get displayed in the map,
or if I need to add any more information before it will get used. I'm sure
this information is available somewhere in the wiki, but it is not very
newbie-friendly. I'm thinking the starter tutorial needs to document all the
steps between making a track log, and seeing the results on a map -
thoughts?

Anyway: first, how do I upload gps logs? On
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Starter_Tutorial it states that GPX
tracks can be uploaded at the traces page. On the traces page, I see no way
of uploading.

Second, I have a bunch of gps tracklogs from several years ago which I'd
like to upload (actually they were used to make a map for a navigation
system demo). Some are raw nmea, some are garmin text format. I can convert
nmea to gpx as required for OSM, but not the text.

The text files look like this:

@020228140136N5115724W00105506G006+00104W0003N0004U0000
@020228140137N5115724W00105506G006+00104E0000N0000D0000
@020228140138N5115724W00105506G006+00103E0000N0000D0000

gpsbabel -i garmin doesn't seem to like it.

Any ideas?

Cheers