[OSM-talk] Coastlines

Andy Street mail at andystreet.me.uk
Fri Jan 19 21:22:33 GMT 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:45:57 -0000
"Andy Robinson" <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> Warm welcome to OSM.

Many thanks.

> natural=coastline is the preferred method of setting the coastline
> which as I recall should ideally be set at the high water mark line.
>
> If you are mapping where nobody has been before you then the
> coastline you are seeing in JOSM is a result of various import
> scripts running to bring in freely available data. However if you
> were to take you GPS and walk along the water line you will almost
> certainly produce a more accurate result so remove or adjust the
> segments/ways that are wrong so that you have just one line that you
> are happy with. This single line doesn't need to be one way, in fact
> it is better to make it up from a series of ways so that no
> individual way is overly long.
>
> Hope that helps.

Yes it does, thanks. I knew that the data was being imported from
scripts from what I read on the wiki and one of the reasons for my post
was to ensure I didn't mess up a work in progress. :)

> Which part of the coast are you on?

I'm near Southampton in Hampshire. The bit I'm mapping is actually a
rural area a little distance inland but I noticed the coast when zooming
in the slippy map.

Regards,

Andy