[OSM-talk] Fonts in osmarender WAS:Cambridge complete!

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jan 19 23:46:15 GMT 2007

Hi,

> Why should osmarender define Verdana as the font to use in its renders?
> Not every computer has this font, and it is a copyrighted one.  Would
> changing it to generic "Sans" work on non-Linux computers?

I don't know who made the decision to put in "Verdana"; probably it
wasn't a decision but just a sort of "first thing that comes to mind".

Theoretically one could put in anything and leave it to the SVG
renderer to select a matching font. With tiles at home however, it is
desirable that everyone uses the same font, otherwise funny effects
might occur at tile boundaries.

Bye
Frederik