[OSM-talk] LiveGPS plugin for josm / Mapping on the move!

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jan 21 13:01:20 GMT 2007

Hi,

Ed Davies <osm at edavies.nildram.co.uk>:
 > > I like josm but it is cleary not designed for this kind of use.

 > Maybe rather than twist JOSM to this purpose a dedicated program
 > would be more appropriate.

Worth thinking about. I went ahead with the josm plugin because that was
a quick way to get something working. There are other applications
specializing in live GPS interaction but they come without OSM editing
capabiliy, or in fact without editing capability of any kind. I think
that the whole "edit effectively while you're moving" theme is rather
uncharted terrain. The "roadmap editor" mentioned by someone else
(http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/editor.html) is also heavily mouse
dependent, in fact more so than out-of-the-box josm, and does not seem
very suitable to me.

 > > sometimes it sticks segments onto existing ways in a nonpredictable
 > > fashion (except when you want it to),

 > I too find this very annoying.  I think it somehow reads your
 > mind to find out if you want to add a new segment to the currently
 > selected way, then does the opposite.

;-) something that can probably be fixed by a better display of what it
thinks it should do.

Bye
Frederik