[OSM-talk] NAVTEQ Map Reporter

Francis Augusto Medeiros francis at mgate.com.br
Sun Jan 21 20:23:42 GMT 2007

On 21/01/2007, at 15:27, Guenther Meyer wrote:

> Am Sonntag 21 Januar 2007 18:25 schrieb Nick Black:
>> But assuming you have bought the data from a provider - say for your
>> favourite Sat-nav - you would be cutting off your free-data-nose to
>> spite you not-free-data face (to paraphrase TC).  Of course if you
>> don't have the data in the first place and you cant get hold of it,
>> there wouldn't be much point in contributing to it.  But then I
>> assume
>> we all use Google Maps or a comparable non-free product - only for
>> areas where OSM doesnt have any data of course ;-) - and would
>> like to
>> see it improve?
>>
> I have bought a commercial nav software including the data. I have
> done this,
> because it's currently the only way to get a working car navigation.
> it works, but the manufacturer forces me, to use a horrible piece
> of software
> on a platform I usually don't use, and only with the few features
> and in the
> way, they want me to use it.
> google maps is a nice piece of software, but it's not suitable for
> this.
> if it's good for you, use it.
>
> but my opinion is, that geographical data should be free, and
> that's why I'm
> here. the goal is (at least mine), to have a free software with
> free data for
> navigation and all the other stuff that can be done with it.
>
> I have not so much spare time. but I rather use this time for
> collecting free
> data or working on free software, than spending it to help someone,
> who
> already pays people for doing this.

I second that, and my opinion: I find it amazing how many people
gather together to develop maps for a proprietary format. Here in
Brazil a very suscesful project called Tracksource is doing a very
good job mapping the country. The problem? They are producing maps
for garmin devices! Ha! Shouldn't that be Garmin's job? I mean, to
gather such effort for something that is so tied to a certain device
deosn't seem fair to me.

I rather contribute to a project aimed at everyone, even if it's not
possible/straightforward yet to use the result of it on my devices
(mac, E61 smartphone), than to work with a map format that will work
only with an specific device.

My .2 centavos... ;)

Cheers,

Francis