[OSM-talk] Newbie question

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Mon Jan 22 08:20:44 GMT 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 08:48, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Dean Earley wrote:
> > You CAN convert a GPX file straight to OSM data but we don't recommend
> > it, especially in areas where data already exists.
>
> That said, semi-automatic derivation from GPXs is a planned feature
> for a future version of Potlatch and (if anyone were willing to code
> it) I see no reason why the same approach couldn't be adopted in JOSM
> or any other editor.

For now you can use osmfilter to do this kind of job.
To install it you either do a svn co or install the current gpsdrive-svn
package.

Well and it also compares against already existing osm-data and splits you new
data according to it ;-)

A start on installing and using can be found here:
	http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/HowTo_OSMFilter

If this description is not precise/detaild enough, please let me/us know.

-

Joerg