[OSM-talk] A proxy problem with the applet or what?

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 12:58:05 GMT 2007

On 1/22/07, Nick Burch <openstreetmap at gagravarr.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> > I was trying to digitise some streets on Yahoo imagery, but I cannot
> > send anything to server. I am wondering if our proxy is stopping the
> > requests.  Does somebody know if it is possible?
>
> Quite possibly. I don't think that most of the applet is aware of http
> proxies, and just assumes it can connect to the internet directly.

The proxy should be transparent to the Java application -- the applet
shouldn't need to know anything.

> Is there something special that should be opened for me in our proxy or
> > firewall

Sounds like Java isn't correctly picking up the proxy settings. You say
you're using firefox, does it work OK with IE? It's possible your firefox
proxy settings are set differently to the IE ones and Java is using the
wrong ones. The way Java figures out what to do is just a little hacky.