[OSM-talk] cadastre, ways, rendering

Dirk-Lüder Kreie osm-list at deelkar.net
Mon Jan 22 18:01:05 GMT 2007

Florian Loitsch schrieb:
> hi,
> I have some questions (some osm related. some josm):
> - are we allowed to use 'cadastres'? At least in France cities have local maps
> which are free to access and copy (maybe some small fee). In my opinion the
> biggest work is not to collect GPS data or to copy the points/ways, but to
> name them afterwards. Cadastres would be the ideal solution for that.

There is a huge difference between free as in free beer and free as in
free speech, so make sure you understand the licensing behind those
maps, most are only free for private use, which is not enough for
derivative works with CC-BY-SA license (like OSM).

> - If I understood correctly we should use the "ref" property to assign names
> like "A8", ... What if a street has two such names? (like for instance A8 and
> E88)

ref=A8 int_ref=E88

However the problem remains if the street has two refs. I have this
problem in Bremen and no idea how to solve this.

> - I've seen streets with two separated sides (by something in the middle) be
> separated as ways too. That is both sides are ways (just not the same) and
> have the same information. So both way have the same name (and ref), but go
> into different directions.
> Is this allowed? Or should they be one way only?

2 ways, if the highway-type doesn't suggest it additionally tagged
oneway=true.

> - Is there a way to join two ways (in JOSM)? I've two segments of a way that
> had been created from both ends and I can't see any easy way to join them.

I don't know a method how to accomplish this, however it doesn't do much
harm to leave this as 2 ways.

> - Should roundabouts be part of some street, or be separated. We have many
> roundabouts in France and many have names... Should they be ways having the
> name of the roundabout, or be part of one of they joining streets?

If the roundabout is not one of those "mini-roundabouts" it should be
its own way tagged as "intersection=roundabout" and if it has a name it
should have the name= tag as well.

> - Is there an easy way to delete a segment out of a way (in JOSM)? For
> instance if roundabouts should be separated I would need to remove them from
> some existing ways. How would I proceed?

split the way on entry and exit of the roundabout, close the way around
the roundabout and tag as above (change highway, intersection and name
tags appropriately) highway of the roundabout is by tradition the
highest order road connecting to the roundabout.

> - I can't get osmarender to render my area. Any idea why?
> the area would be:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=43.611389717995785&lon=7.051818385288053&zoom=11
> thanks,

Did you add the highway-tag to the ways appropriately? check for
spelling errors, maybe enable the debug mode (renders segments as well)
to see if you perhaps got the area wrong somehow.

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie