[OSM-talk] cadastre, ways, rendering

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 18:06:33 GMT 2007

On 1/22/07, Florian Loitsch <openstreetmap at florian.loitsch.com> wrote:

> - I've seen streets with two separated sides (by something in the middle)
> be
> separated as ways too. That is both sides are ways (just not the same) and
> have the same information. So both way have the same name (and ref), but
> go
> into different directions.
> Is this allowed? Or should they be one way only?

Most of the time where you have a solid central divider you'd use two ways,
one running in  each direction. This makes the side streets which open onto
just one side more obvious. If the central divider is quite small and makes
no practical difference to the road layout, I wouldn't always bother.
For main roads with multiple lanes in each direction I would always use two
ways.

- Should roundabouts be part of some street, or be separated. We have many
> roundabouts in France and many have names... Should they be ways having
> the
> name of the roundabout, or be part of one of they joining streets?

A large roundabout should be a separate way from the connecting roads and be
tagged with junction=roundabout. Ideally you should make sure the segments
go in the same direction as the traffic too (so anti-clockwise in France). I
name the way with the roundabout name if it has one.
You can find all the conventions here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions#Roundabouts

- Is there an easy way to delete a segment out of a way (in JOSM)? For
> instance if roundabouts should be separated I would need to remove them
> from
> some existing ways. How would I proceed?

Select the way, then use the Way tool. Just click on a segment to remove it.