[OSM-talk] cadastre, ways, rendering

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Jan 23 01:56:01 GMT 2007

At 07:42 AM 23/01/2007, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>anyway if attributes change. Since OSM cannot manage properties that
>only apply to a part of a way, you will have to split your way if the
>road suddenly changes from being a primary road to being a secondary
>road (even if it is still the same street with the same name). Or if it
>changes from being one-way to being both-ways.

Well, that's not strictly true. OSM supports segments. They manage
properties that only apply to a part of a way. I chip in because I
think I'm in a distinct minority in thinking that, render compute
power drain aside, they have great potential for recording local
ephemeral changes to a highway: oneway sections, abutters, bridges,
unsealed sections, width ... etc and there needs to be balanced
debate.   From that perspective I'd agree that splitting a way when
it goes primary to secondary makes sense, a major change and doesn't
change back.  I'd also agree that making ways only from contiguous
segments also makes good practise but I can't see that this should be
hard and fast.  I would though certainly record changes to oneway at
a segment rather than way level where a road does things like split
as it approaches a major junction - a local temporary change.

Just my 2 centavos!

Mike
Manila