[OSM-talk] Introduction and a name key language question

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 13:18:24 GMT 2007

On 1/23/07, Kaj-Michael Lang <milang at tal.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Let me first introduce myself, Kaj-Michael Lang (onion on the wiki),
> mapping Finland, mainly around the City of Turku/Åbo.
>
> Anyway, my question is this:
> How should I handle streets/locations with two official names in
> different languages (fi and se) ? For example Turku is the finnish name
> and Åbo the swedish for my city.

I'd have thought something like:
name:fi=Turku
name:se=Åbo
and then set name= to whatever is the "common" name in that place.

That's just off of the top of my head as a sensible solution -- I don't know
if anyone has actually put thought into this? Future renderer/whatever
options could then let you choose "local" language or pick a language of
your choice, obviously defaulting to the name= tag if not available in your
preferred language.