[OSM-talk] Naming islands

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Thu Jan 25 10:02:33 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Collinson" <mike at ayeltd.biz>
To: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:22 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Naming islands

> Ah, yes I've come across that one, there are a claimed 7,107 of them
> here and that's just at high tide!
>
> I suggest a place=island as a new place value.  I'd be happy to put
> that up as a proposed feature if there is general sentiment that it
> is reasonable to expand out the "place" tag beyond places of human
> habitation.
>
> Mike
> Manila
>
> At 05:04 AM 25/01/2007, Kristian Thy wrote:
>>What's the standard for naming islands? A name tag on the coastline way,
>>or a separate point with name and ... what else tag?

Some while ago I proposed the tag label=
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/label

The idea started as a way of being able to place a town / city etc name
separately to the node which actually marked the town.  In general it seems
nodes which mark towns are placed at the centre of a town (which makes
sense), but this is not always the ideal place to render the name as it
often writes over other important features.

I then thought the label = tag could also be used so that other features
which did not have a specific naming tag could have a name rendered on a
map, for instance forests, mountains, islands etc.  However there did not
seem much enthusiasm for the proposal.

David