[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] The Mapper's Plight

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 13:56:08 GMT 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> The Mapper's Plight
> -------------------
>
> By Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>. Public Domain.
>
> Monday.
>
> Discovered openstreetmap.org. Tres cool project! They aim to produce
> a free
> world map downloadable by everyone. Got an account, downloaded a
> satellite
> image of my village from Google, uploaded all the streets. Great!
>
> Tuesday.
>
> Someone told me that I mustn't use Google satellite imagery and that I
> should delete my stuff. Do I look like I can afford my own satellite or
> what?

If yahoo have imagery for your town you can use that.. look on the wiki.
> Wednesday.
>
> It seems that "GPS traces" are all the rage with the openstreetmap guys.
> Bought a GPS and cycled round like crazy. Collected 15,000 GPS points
> and uploaded them. Got out my printed map to name the streets properly.
>
> Thursday.
>
> Sigh. It seems as if using a printed map is not en vogue with the
> community.
> They say the information from the printed map is copyrighted, and
> I'll have
> to write down the names myself. So I'll get my bike out again.

Yeah, welcome to the crappy world of copyright.
But then this is exactly why we're trying to create a free map.
> Friday.
>
> Slightly handicapped by a bruised arm. I fell from the bike trying
> to write down a street name while cycling! I think I'll switch to voice
> recording.

I take photos of the signs... I usually stop first :-)
> Saturday.
>
> Could not understand my own words on the tape. Resorted to using NATO
> alphabet for spelling. People start looking at me.

Yeah, that happens with the photos too.
"Mummy, Why is that man taking a picture of the sign?!"

and in the wonderful world of London...
"Are you a tourist or sumink?"
"No"
under breath whining to friend, "what's he taking pictures for! idiot!"

not to mention the whole:
"No photography please sir"
"Oh, I'm just taking a picture of the station sign"
"You're not allowed to take pictures of South West Trains property
without permission"
"I'm standing on a public pavement, I think you're probably wrong"
"You can call SWT Head Office to check if you like"
"I'm not sure they're the ones that get to determine law... and I'm
fairly sure a station sign doesn't have a reasonable expectation of
privacy, but whatever"... takes photo of floor which later appears on
map as Wandsworth Town Station thanks to the wonders of GPS timestamps
and an obvious chewing gum pattern. (OK, actually I managed a blurred
shot of the sign before interception, but anyway)

> Sunday.
>
> Found a little street with no name sign whatsoever. Asked the locals
> what
> the name of the street was. One didn't know, one wanted to know what
> business of mine this was, and the third took out his printed map to
> help me, then proceeded to shout abuse when I explained that I cannot
> accept his information as it was copyrighted.

If nobody knows then no-one will care... if they live there they can put
it in later...
> Monday.
>
> Called city council asking for the name of the little street. They sent
> me to the planning office, who offered me a copyrighted printout of
> their catastral data, then threatened to call the police when I lost
> my temper.

Good commitment! You might be taking it a little seriously though :-)
> Tuesday.
>
> New strategy. Filed a complaint with city council regarding the lack
> of street name signs for the little road.
>
> Weeks later.
>
> Received a polite letter saying that they'd consider putting up signs
> in their next budget and meanwhile why wouldn't I just look it up on
> a map?

Ah well. Keeps things interesting.
And reminded me I still haven't published that station photo on Flickr.
I'd get to add it to the forbidden photos group.

I'm waiting for the day when I get stopped by someone and they ask if
I'm doing OSM. Either that or I randomly spot someone else obviously
mapping.