[OSM-talk] talk Digest, Vol 29, Issue 104

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 15:07:58 GMT 2007

On 1/26/07, Ed Davies <osm at edavies.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

> > > This can't be serious can it? Getting done for taking photos of a
> > > station??? Sounds like something from Cold War Russia....
>
> Dirk-L?der Kreie
> > Over here in Germany I'd simply suggest to the person to read up about
> > "Panoramafreiheit" and leave him with a little smile on my face :)
>
> UK copyright law seems to be the same:
>
>    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_4.htm#mdiv62
>
> Actually, freer as (according to the Google translation of the German
> Wikipedia Panoramafreiheit article) the restrictions on its applicability
> are quite tight - you can't stand on a ladder to look over an obstacle
> for example in Germany whereas there seems to be no such restriction
> in the UK.
>
> However, copyright law might not be all that applies.

Yeah, there are one or two other things to take into account.
A good summary of the rights of a photographer in the UK can be found here:
http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php
its quite an interesting read.

But basically it suggests taking a photograph of a sculpture or artistic
work which is a permanent fixture in a public place is permitted. Taking a
photo of other works is, however, a breach of copyright, unless the work is
merely incident in the photo, ie: you take a picture of your friend and
there is something in the background.

Oh, and taking pictures of bank notes is illegal without permission of the
Bank of England/Scotland/Irish-bank whatever.

It's also illegal to take photos in Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square
if you're doing it for a commercial purpose. So OSM should be fine on that
one!