[OSM-talk] Proposed aeroway=apron

Ed Davies osm at edavies.nildram.co.uk
Sat Jan 27 11:44:58 GMT 2007

Robert T Wyatt:
> For the non-aeronautically inclined an explanation of what an apron is
> might help the cause (in order to explain why runway and taxiway don't
> cover all the ground--sorry, I had to): A flat, usually paved, surface in
> front of a building, hangar, etc., esp. an area on an aerodrome prepared
> for the easy handling, (un)loading, etc., of aircraft on the ground. (from
> the OED) or the extensive paved part of an airport immediately adjacent to
> the terminal area or hangars (from m-w)
>
> (can quotes from oed/m-w be put on the wiki? would someone like to use
> their own words?)

Why would there be problems with quoting small fragments like this -
particularly if the source is given?

A few other peoples' words to add to the mix.

Annex 14 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, Volume 1,
Aerodrome Design and Operations:

   Apron: A defined area, on a land aerodrome, intended to accommodate
   aircraft for purposes of loading or unloading passengers, mail or
   cargo, fuelling, parking or maintenance.

UK Civil Aviation Authority publication CAP 168, Licensing of
Aerodromes:

   Apron: A defined area on a land aerodrome provided for the stationing
   of aircraft for the embarkation and disembarkation of passengers,
   the loading and unloading of cargo, and for parking.

Don't know why the UK CAA exclude fuelling and maintenance - you see
plenty of both happening on aprons.

Ed.