[OSM-talk] License

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 18:35:27 GMT 2007

Nic Roets wrote:
> My 2 cents :
>
> To me it makes no difference weather I contribute to a CC / GPL
> project, or weather I contribute to a PD project with a good
> non-profit orginization (NPO) behind it :
>
> If someone then sells a relicensed version of my PD work, that's fine
> because, in the internet era, his clients will be just one or two
> websearches away from discovering the true magnitude of his
> contribution.

If only that was the case :(
You obviously have not heard about the current case relating to a
company selling reworked PD material as their own work and trying to
extract licence fees from the people who actually created it !
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/k/index.html
If the company win, then the licence covering such little projects as
Perl are not worth the disk space they are stored on.

So lets take care that a commercial hijack does not take place here!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL