[OSM-talk] advertising

Anselm Hook anselm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 01:58:32 BST 2007

It doesn't look that effective.

There's clearly something vital, critical and important about place based
advertising.  It has a role.

Another word for advertising is "signaling".  We often want to signal to
each other across the barriers of geography.  Often we pay money to have the
privilege of slightly raising our voices.

Why not try bite off more of the real issue; where the real value in sharing
place information is going to be?  Why not go for capturing real time
volatile and transient spatial data... place based classifieds and the like?

It is just that this feels like the wrong direction; it doesn't feel like
any variation of the theme here would be that effective and not annoying.
Whereas there are other revenue angles that do seem authentic and honor the
kind of wikipedia feel of openstreetmap.

Other shorter term revenue options might include:

1) http://www.linkadage.com/linkadage-info/metrics_checker.asp  -> PR7 score
not bad.

2) The Baghdad map seems like a good candidate for foundation funding.

 - a