[OSM-talk] Survey: How to pay the OSM bill

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Sun Jul 1 23:08:25 BST 2007

On 1 Jul 2007, at 08:05, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> I can imagine different kinds of ads:
> * Mappam ads as currently seen on the project's main page
> * Static banners on the main page
> * Temporary banners on the main page

Yeah we used to have google ads on the map pages and on the traces
page but only when logged out.

> In the two latter cases, I can imagine a small additional text on the
> homepage clearly stating it is an advert, maybe »XYZ donates server
> bandwidth/donated a server to the project and thus is allowed to
> display advertising here«. This clearly states that it is ad, it also
> states why it is there and it raises the reputation of the generous
> sponsor.

Yes - we had exactly that. 'We're trialling ads to support the site,
log in and they go away' I think it said

> Unfortunately I didn't find any overview about osm bookkeeping. Thus I
> neither have a clue how much money the project burnt in the past nor
> how much costs we should expect in the foreseeable future. Steve, can
> you shed some light on the financial aspects of the project?

I've been mostly dealing with sponsorship for the conference and
things aren't final enough there to say. When they are I'll talk
about it in general.

With other funding, I think the google ads were making $50 a month or
something. It's not huge, but it's enough to buy a server a year and
much better than nothing. Best thing is to ask 80n, he has the real
finger on the pulse.

have fun,