[OSM-talk] advertising

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Mon Jul 2 12:05:41 BST 2007

Hi,

> That is what I distilled from 80n's post. There are, of course, some
>   problems with this approach - the foundation web site at
> www.openstreetmap.org also hosts crucial parts of the project
> infrastructure, namely the API and central database, but these cannot
>   simply be replaced by someone else's. But if you manage to make the
> distinction in your head and think of www.openstreetmap.org not as
> "our" but as "their" web site, then it suddenly becomes less
> important what's on there, doesn't it?

from this POV (distinguishing between the OSM community and OSMF), OSMF
then has "hijacked" the openstreetmap.org domain at some point in time.
Why did OSMF not register an extra domain like osmf.org for their
purposes? Can anyone savvy comment when openstreetmap.org was
transmogrified from the community to the foundation?

Cheers,

ce