[OSM-talk] advertising

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Jul 2 17:23:38 BST 2007

In message <200707021815.01272.ce at christeck.de>
          Christoph Eckert <ce at christeck.de> wrote:

> Currently OSMF *appears* to be an elitary closed british club, even that
> it *intends the opposite*. Examples:

Your points might make it appear to be an elitist closed club (though
I would deny that) but I see nothing in your points that has anything
to do with nationality.

> * It's impossible to get an account on our servers for external
> developers. This should IMO be decided by the project's developers, not
> by the board members. Set up a web form for one or two weeks, post an
> announcement on the dev list and let the developers vote. If the board
> votes, it is obvious that OSMF tries to control the project's further
> development, sorry

I don't think that is anything to do with the foundation though. It's
more the lack of a defined procedure for deciding who should have access
to what and a bottleneck in the form of only having one person who can
take the necessary technical steps to add a new user.

> * The appearance of the project's main page should also decided by a web
> form and public vote. Someone will design or create suggestions, then
> let the community decide. Ads on the map is a very sensitive topic,
> thus it must not be decided by board members only

Can you name one other open source/open data project that holds
formal votes on such things? I can't think of one...

How often should we hold such votes? Every month? Every year? Every
time somebody pops up claiming to have a better design?

> * The database doesn't get replicated to balance the server load.
> Additionally it would allow other people to do nasty things with the
> project's data, *and* it would be a testimonial that OSMF does *not*
> want to control the data. A weekly planet file dump is not sufficient.
> Unfortunately, a server replication has been denied this spring :(

Really? Can you provide more details?

I recall plenty of "We really should mirror the database" discussions
but very few "I've written this software to do mirroring, can somebody
please install it" discussions.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)